Sunday, August 26, 2018

Playing Mathematician at ICM2018

I am just back from Niteroi, Brazil, where I was Invited Speaker at Logic Satellite event for the International Congress of Mathematicians 2018 (ICM2018) co-organised by the Sociedade Brasileira de Lógica and  DLMPST/IUHPST. This

Division for Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science and Technology

is an alphabet soup that no one can remember properly. The ICM is the  main meeting of  Mathematics around the world, where the Fields Medal, sometimes called the Nobel of Mathematics, is presented every four years. (a bit like the Olympics, really.) I had meant to go for the whole thing, since I have never been to one of these before and since this is the first time it has happened in the Southern Hemisphere, but ended up only being able to go for the Logic event.

The picture of me  comes from Twitter, courtesy of Benedikt Lowe, the Secretary of  the DLMPST 
and one of the main organizers of the logic satellite event. Thanks Benedikt!
I  talked about Relevant Dialectica Categories, which maybe I should talk about in the Nuance NAIL seminar too.

It was very nice of the people in Brazil (especially Bruno Lopes and Samuel Gomes da Silva) to invite me and pay for my trip! and very nice of my manager Charles Ortiz to authorize my PTO. Thank you!
icm2018

No comments:

Post a Comment