Sunday, March 3, 2024

Dagstuhl in the Fall (2023)

 

In the spring of 2022 I got sick, not as sick as I thought then, but sick enough to end up in the emergency room of the hospital in Stanford twice in the same week in May. So the whole year of 2022 got pear-shaped and many of my plans had be cancelled. I had a small procedure at the end of the year--on the day before Thanksgiving exactly-- and this made the year of 2023 a year of recovery.

The year of recovery meant I was going to try to do  three trips (since I had to cancel many in 2022): one simply to Chapman, South California, one to Bloomington, Indiana and one to  Pisa and Padova, in Italy.  All of them went well, mostly: I got covid when returning from Indiana. So I  decided to do another three trips: to St. Louis, Missouri, to Dagstuhl, Germany and to Pasadena, CA.

The one I was most worried about was the one to Dagstuhl, as I do not speak German and Dagstuhl can be fairly inaccessible. But I partnered with Jacques Carrette and Stefania Dumbrova and all went well getting there and getting back home. And being at Dagstuhl is always a pleasure! I have met several people who, like me, are concerned about using digital tools to make mathematics more accessible.

The schedule of the talks and discussions is in https://www.dagstuhl.de/23401/schedule.pdf. I really need to read a bit more about some of the work that I did not manage to grasp while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment