Monday, January 11, 2021

A quote for World Logic Day

My friends at the  Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms at Vienna University of Technology (VCLA at TU Wien) invited me to be an Ambassador for Logic, in their celebrations of World Logic Day 2021.

At first, I was somewhat reticent, I am no good at slogans and epigrams (I wish I was!).

But then I got into the spirit, I think, and you can see my quote below:

When all is said and done, what's left, what stays, from being human, is Logic. Logic removes all the flesh and ornaments, and gives us the underlying bones of what we know. Whether it intends to do so or not, logic turns out to be a moral compass. We overlook it at our own peril, as Logic is even more inexorable than taxes and death.

 At least I think I can say with a clean conscience that I am a logician, not so sure about semanticist, computer scientist, AI researcher, mathematician, or philosopher. But I try.

But then the DIVISION OF LOGIC, METHODOLOGY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY asked some of its logicians for a short video about the importance of Logic. So I recorded a 2 min message  and this message end up in the Conseil International de Philosophie et des Sciences Humaines (CIPSH), cool! 

(yeah, I think I could get used to this idea of people asking me about my opinion! it does have a nice ring to it, I say, I say)

No comments:

Post a Comment