Saturday, November 14, 2020

Logic: a quote or two



Confirming once again that nothing is black or white, but an infinitude of greyness, TU - Wien is celebrating World Logic Day 2021. As they wrote:

To enhance public understanding of logic and its implications for science, technology and innovation, in 2019 UNESCO proclaimed the 14 of January the"World Logic Day". The date was selected in honour of Alfred Tarski (born on January 14th) and Kurt Gödel (who died on this date).  We, as the Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA at TU Wien), would like to celebrate World Logic Day 2021.

[...]

We would be honoured if you would be an Ambassador and Supporter of World Logic Day 2021. In the affirmative case, please send us a quote about logic not exceeding 50 words. 

I do want to be an Ambassador and Supporter of Logic, not of Logic Day, so I have been thinking about it on and off for some days. 

I'm not good with epigrams and such-like. I wish I could make slogans like some of my friends. Maybe I should crowdsource this task on Twitter. 

But I do feel that one of the best things ever said about logic is the cartoon from the New Yorker above. This cartoon used to hang from Martin Hyland's door in the old DPMMS building in Mill Lane, when I was doing my phd.

No comments:

Post a Comment