Saturday, August 10, 2019

Summer 2019 is over. or almost over.

 I took this picture before the beginning of the Encontro de Mulheres Matematicas, in IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, 27 July 2019. The excitement is palpable, we're all ready to go, all eager to show that Mathematics -- in all its diversity-- is our passion.

I had a wonderful time and made several new friends. I was also in awe of the ability of my new friends, they are so competent, so  able to communicate their mathematics, I felt a tad jealous. I wish I was that competent at their age. This was a great way to close this Summer.

I think it was even worth missing Eric's graduation for it. He promised me that there will be another graduation soon enough. For the time being I only have the photos and the short video that Richard took. The pictures of Cornwall are lovely!

Meanwhile this is a picture of the end of the meeting on Women Mathematicians. It was a huge success, people came from everywhere in Brazil for the meeting.
One girl had to go 24 hours by boat, to get to Manaus and then fly in!! This is dedication beyond the call of duty.

Now I just read the column of Marcelo Viana, director of IMPA after the meeting, "What women want after all" is a rough translation. Amazing the level of lack of understanding of some mathematicians. To be absolutely clear, I don't mean lack of understanding on Viana's part, but of the people he quoted. Goodness me.

No comments:

Post a Comment