Thursday, June 14, 2012

Living and Learning?

Category Theory requires exercises, so I'm trying to organize homework sheets. But I want to add some treats to the homework, a bit like I a did for Phil50/COEN260.

The first treat is “The aims of Education” by Andrew Abbott of the University of Chicago. Only 5 pages and (I find it) a different take on why do we go to college.

The second treat is Lockhart's Lament, check this old post.

The third treat is Quinn's Revolution, published by the AMS, January 2012.

The fourth treat is  Anonymous in Quora on  "What is it like to have an understanding of very advanced mathematics?"

We end with something different, Eli Pariser on "The Filter Bubble", TED talk, May 2011.

And yes, I feel sorry not to include Wigner's `The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences'. Nor Hamming's ``The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics" and perhaps the unreasonable effectiveness of data should be mentioned too...

Oh well too many treats might make us sick...
But keeping links in store is not so bad. Shame I couldn't find "The Atlantic Canon of Tech" when I first tried it. Glad I found it now (Mar 2024)

No comments:

Post a Comment