Sunday, July 19, 2020

Logicians in Quarantine



 This post is a short shout-out to Bruno Lopes and Petrucio Viana for the brilliant idea of creating "Logicians in Quarantine/Logicos em Quarentena" the Brazilian Logic Society online seminar.  I was invited to help to bootstrap it and I gave the second talk,  "Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Structural and Distributional Meaning representations", mostly because I had just given this talk at SRI Menlo Park (on 5th March), so it was ready. But also because I wanted to show to my Brazilian friends how my work with language does connect to my work with logic. The transition is not so obvious. 

Joao Marcos gave the first talk "On classes of structures axiomatizable by universal d-Horn sentences and universal positive distinctions".  The seminar seems to be working extremely well, with all sorts of interesting talks. These are recorded, so if something happens, you can always watch it later on. 

The seminar is now part of the Logic SuperGroup another splendid idea! many kudos to Shay Logan, Shawn Standefer, and many others for the brilliant implementation of the idea of connecting all the logic seminars.



No comments:

Post a Comment