Sunday, February 2, 2020

November in Amsterdam





I was super glad when Sonja Smets invited me to be part of the  Scientific Advisory Board  of the   Institute for Logic, Language and Computation  (ILLC) in 2017. Last November I visited the ILLC with some other members of the Scientific Advisory Board for the first time, in this new capacity. Moshe Vardi, Mark Steedman, and Hannes Leitgeb were there too.

It was very interesting: ILLC's research is multi-faceted and very impactful. They have many students from all parts of the world. They have a (to me very different) system where faculty have fractional appointments in many different places. Also, like most of the logicians and linguists I know, they are trying to survive what Chris Manning described in his 2015 presidential address to the Association of Computational Linguistics as the "machine learning tsunami".

I talked about the work with Katerina Kalouli and Dick Crouch,  on building hybrid systems for natural language. The paper is  GKR: Bridging the Gap between Symbolic/structural and Distributional Meaning Representations. I need to find the slides.


No comments:

Post a Comment